Criminal Background Checks
ALL TEACHER EDUCATION PROGRAM ACCEPTED STUDENTS — DO NOT COMPLETE THIS CBC — you will receive information about procedures required for your Pre-Service Certificate which includes a criminal background check that will be completed by the Ga Professional Standards Commission.
GSU students who are completing a classroom observation for an EDUC course including experiences at a social organization are required to complete a criminal background check.
Students in EDUC 2110 who are being placed by the GSU Office of Field Placement, must complete the cbc through Student Check/Pre-Check.
If you are requesting a placement in Dekalb or Rockdale County, you will be required to complete their cbc at a cost of $45-$50. Do not complete the GSU cbc. You will receive instructions from the Office of Field Placements once your school has been assigned with instructions to obtain the county’s cbc.
- Students who will be arranging their own placements in a social organization should check with the organization regarding their own cbc processes. All students completing a placement in EDUC 2120 and 2130 are required to complete a cbc. If not the one from the placement site itself, then they are required to use Pre Check and can print a copy of their cbc to have with them.
- Background checks are conducted by PreCheck, Inc., a firm specializing in background checks. Your order must be placed online through StudentCheck.
- A background check typically takes three to five normal business days to complete.
- If you need assistance while placing your online order, please contact PreCheck at StudentCheck@PreCheck.com. If you need additional assistance, contact the GSU Office of Field Placements, College of Education & Human Development building, Suite 300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are required to be placed in a Day Care facility for your program, you will be required to complete a criminal background check through DECAL at an additional charge. Please follow the instructions located in this DECAL background check instructions PDF.
- You can also download the DECAL application.
Ordering Your Background Check
If you’re ordering your background check through StudentCheck for the first time:
Undergraduate students, Please choose from the PreCheck website the option from the School and Program drop down menu: Georgia State University-Education-Undergraduates. Students in the B.I.S. degree, choose “General” under program.
Graduate students, Please choose from the School and Program drop down menu on the PreCheck website: Georgia State University – Education-Graduates
Complete all required fields and hit “Continue” to enter your payment information. The payment can be made securely online with a credit or debit card. You may also pay by mail via money order, but that will result in a delay of processing your background check until the money order is received by mail at the PreCheck office.
For your records, you will be provided a receipt and a confirmation page of your background check order placed through PreCheck, Inc.
PreCheck will not use your information for any other purposes other than a background check. Your credit will not be investigated, and your name will not be given out to any businesses.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most reports are completed within three to five business weekdays.
Please email StudentCheck@PreCheck.com with the details.
Yes. Log into www.mystudentcheck.com and click on “here,” and enter your social security number and date of birth. If your report is complete, you may click on the application number to download and print a copy. This feature is good for 90 days after submittal. After 90 days, you will be charged $14.95 for a copy of your report, and will need to contact PreCheck directly to request this.
No. Just the city and state.
Please direct your question to the Office of Field Placements at email@example.com or 404-413-8205.
Call PreCheck’s Adverse Action hotline at 800-203-1654. Adverse Action is the procedure established by the Fair Credit Reporting Act that allows you to see the report and to dispute anything reported.
Disclose the crime on your application.