Prior to acceptance into a teacher education program, students enrolled in courses which require observation experiences in a school setting (EDUC 2110) will complete the online application for observation placements. The deadline for requests is stated below.
Please note: If the course requires the student to complete an observation in a community setting (EDUC 2120/2130) as designated by the course instructors, students do not need to submit an observation application to the Office of Field Placements and may manage their own placement request. Students may receive a list of available sites from their faculty or they can also use the GSU Office of Civic Engagement to search for opportunities here
Prior to completing any observation for any GSU class students must:
- Obtain a criminal background check through the university-approved vendor prior to placement. Read the instructions on applying for a criminal background check.
**If you are requesting a placement in Dekalb or Rockdale County Schools, do not complete the GSU cbc. Once your school has been assigned you will be sent instructions from the Office of Field Placements regarding how to obtain the county’s cbc which costs $45 – $50.
2. Obtain Tort liability – Instructions and form located on Office of Field Placements main page
*Students must complete the criminal background check (GSU or Dekalb) and submit proof via email to email@example.com of tort liability coverage prior to being given their placement site for their course (EDUC 2110.)
The Fall 2018 application for EDUC 2110 will open on August 25, 2018 and will close on September 8, 2018.
Each student will have their own placement – paired placements are not required.Submit an observation placement request
Students may complete field-based assignments in public or private school sites (unless otherwise directed by Georgia State faculty).
Students who arrange their own field placement in a community setting for EDUC 2120 and EDUC 2130 should:
- Apply for a criminal background check through the approved Georgia State vendor.
- Take a copy of the report with them to the site.
- Take proof of liability coverage with them to the site.