Ever wondered what it really takes to be a great teacher?
Check out the Academy for Future Teachers at Georgia State!
Are you a high school student willing to consider a career in education teaching math or science? Are you thinking about a math or science career? The Academy for Future Teachers could be your best step toward reaching your goals.
For three weeks this June, from 8 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., the Academy for Future Teachers (AFT) participants join students from all over Atlanta on Georgia State’s campus to enrich teaching and communication skills, participate in field trips and workshops and review core math and science content. Best of all, you’ll teach real middle and pre-kindergarten students each week. Your students provide essential, real-world feedback that helps you as one of AFT’s future educators spotlight the professional and academic skills you need while deciding what is right for them.
AFT ’19 is designed for students who have completed their sophomore or junior year by May 2019. However, academically strong or teacher career track sophomores and college-bound seniors are considered, as well.
What is AFT All About?
15 mornings in June can answer your questions.
- Done by 1 p.m. each day
- Transit card or parking included
- $100 snack card
- $200 stipend for full attendance
- Essential pedagogy
- Urban & multicultural education
- Professional practices
- How individual style affects students and co-workers
- The relevance of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) in everyday life
- Core science and math skills
- College-level sessions with university faculty and expert public school teachers
- Personal, scholastic and professional growth and exploration
- Hands-on, real world fun and practical applications of math & science concepts
- Expanded communication techniques
- Practice teaching
- Team building
Applications & Brochures
- AFT ’19 Participant Application (submit online)
- AFT’19 Teacher Recommendation (online only)
- AFT’19 Application (print and complete, then scan/mail)
If you encounter any issues with completing the application, please email email@example.com. A version available for printout will be made available.