Program of Study
Coursework focuses on sport psychology, human movement, principles and philosophy of coaching, long term athlete development, coaching athletes with disabilities, nutrition, conditioning, principles of organization and management of sport programs, safety/injury prevention and internships.
B.S.E. in Health and Physical Education
Areas A-E: Core Curriculum Recommendations
Students must complete 42 semester hours in Areas A-E of the Undergraduate Core Curriculum. Courses in Area A must be completed with “C” or higher grades.
Semester hours are shown in parentheses following an entry.
Area F. Courses Appropriate for a Major (18 hours)
Students must complete coursework with a grade of “C” or higher in Area F prior to admission to teacher education.
Required for Teacher Certification and Sport Coaching concentrations (18):
- EDUC 2110 Investigating Critical and Contemporary Issues in Education (3)
- EDUC 2120 Exploring Socio Cultural Perspectives on Diversity (3)
- EDUC 2130 Exploring Teaching and Learning (3)
- KH 2122 Applied Health and Wellness (3)
- KH 2130 Introduction to Kinesiology and Health (3)
- KH 2211 Movement Sciences for Practitioners (3)
Area G. Major Courses (53-56 hours)
Required Courses for Teacher Certification and Sport Coaching concentrations (32):
- KH 3010 Skill Themes and Movement Concepts (3)
- KH 3020 Fitness and Physical Activity (3)
- KH 3030 Invasion Games (3)
- KH 3040 Net/Wall Games (3)
- KH 3070 Target and Field Games(3)
- KH 3080 Dance and Gymnastics (3)
- KH 3200 Instructional Skills for Physical Education and Physical Activity Professionals (3)*
- KH 3375 Injury Prevention and First Aid (2)
- KH 3610 Motor Learning and Development (3)
- KH 3710 Health Risk Behaviors- CTW (3)
- KH 4280 Psychology of Physical Activity (3)
Completion of KH 3010 is required before taking KH 3200 , KH 3410 and KH 3420.
KH 3710 will fulfill the Critical Thinking Through Writing (CTW) requirement.
*For Teacher Certification, completion of KH 3200 with a “C+” or higher.
Methods and Curriculum for Teacher Certification concentration (24 hours):
- EXC 4020 Characteristics and Instructional Strategies for Students with Disabilities (3) (or equivalent)
- KH 3410 Assessment in Health and Physical Education (3)
- KH 3420 Curriculum in Health and Physical Education (3)
- KH 3700 Sexuality Education for P-12 (3)
- KH 4510 Contemporary Instructional Models for Pre-K and Elementary Physical Education (3)
- KH 4520 Contemporary Instructional Models for Secondary Physical Education (3)
- KH 4530 Contemporary Instructional Models for Health Education (3)
- KH 4540 Contemporary Instructional Models for Adapted Physical Education (3)
Completion of KH 3410, KH 3420, KH 3700, KH 4510, KH 4520, KH 4530, and KH 4540 with a “C+” or higher is required along with permission from HPE faculty before taking KH 4710 and KH 4720.
Methods and Curriculum for Sport Coaching concentration (21 hours):
- KH 3630 Principles and Philosophy of Coaching (3)
- KH 3635 Special Considerations for Coaching Athletes with Disabilities (3)
- KH 4200 Analysis of Sport Coaching (3)
- KH 4350 Fitness Program Management (3)
Select nine (9) hours:
- GERO 4200 Health and the Older Adult (3) (same as [SNHP 4200])
- GERO 4610 Psychology of Aging (3) (same as PSYC 4610)
- KH 2220 Anatomy in Kinesiology and Health (3)
- KH 2221 Anatomy in Kinesiology and Health Laboratory (1)
- KH 3060 Performance and Analysis in Disability Sport (3)
- KH 3360 Disability Sport and Physical Activity (3)
- KH 3520 Strength Training and Conditioning (4)
- KH 3680 International Experience in Sport and Exercise Science (3)
- KH 4210 Long Term Athlete Development (3)
- PSYC 3450 Health Psychology (3)
- NUTR 2100 Principles of Nutrition (3)
- NUTR 3100 Nutrition and Health (3)
- NUTR 3105 Normal Nutrition through the Life Cycle (3)
- NUTR 4960 Nutrition and Physical Fitness (3)
- SOCI 4230 Sociology of Health and Illness (3)
- Other courses may be selected with consent of advisor
Area H. Internship and Student Teaching (8 hours)
First Aid and CPR Proficiency: All students must have current certifications in First Aid and CPR (including infant, child, and adult) at the time of application to student teaching or internships. Those certifications must remain current through the end of the student teaching/internship term. Students may demonstrate this proficiency by attaining the appropriate certifications from GSU Recreation Department, American Heart Association, local fire departments or the American Red Cross. Please note: The skills test for first aid and CPR cannot be taken online.
Students should not enroll in other courses while completing Area H requirements.
Students must complete internship or student teaching coursework in Area H with a grade of “B” or higher for program completion. A grade of B or higher is required for students in the teacher certification concentration for recommendation for certification.
Required for Teacher Certification concentration (8):
- KH 4650 Opening School Experience (0)
- KH 4710 Student Teaching in Health and Physical Education, P-5 (4)
- KH 4720 Student Teaching in Health and Physical Education, 6-12 (4)
Students must post passing scores on the GACE Content Assessment, Georgia Educator Ethics – Program Exit (360) Assessment, and edTPA in order to be recommended by Georgia State University for clear, renewable certification.
Required for Sport Coaching Concentration (8):
- KH 4730 Physical Activity Internship I (4)
- KH 4740 Physical Activity Internship (4)
Total Program Teacher Certification concentration: minimum of 124 semester hours
Total Program Sport Coaching concentration: minimum of 121 semester hours
For complete degree requirements, visit the catalog.