We offer Teacher Education in English, ESOL, Mathematics, Middle Level Education, Social Studies and Science.
The Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree programs are designed for students who hold a bachelor’s degree and wish to obtain both a Master’s degree and initial teaching certification in their chosen field.
Our programs are based on current research in teacher education and support planning, teaching, and reflection with colleagues who are committed to excellence in education. The programs also include major, in-depth practicum/teaching experience at the appropriate levels. Provisionally-licensed teachers may also apply and may use their classroom as their practicum site.
For information applying for graduate school, visit our graduate admissions page.
- For more information on all M.A.T. programs, see our program entrance requirements listed below.
- View the program of study worksheets for each subject area program.
PROGRAM ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Our programs in Teacher Education in English, ESOL, Mathematics, Middle Level, Social Studies and Science lead to a Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) and an initial State of Georgia teacher certification.
All admissions processes are online.
General Admission Requirements for all M.A.T. Programs of Study
1. 2.5 undergraduate GPA
2. GRE Scores (Graduate Record Exam General Test); strong GRE scores in the upper 50th percentile for both verbal and quantitative are preferred
3. GACE Program Admission Assessment (Students may exempt the GACE Test of Basic Skills with a score of 297 on the GRE, 1000 on the SAT, or 43 on the ACT. For information regarding additional exemption options, see http://www.gapsc.com/documentation/basicskillsinfo.asp)
4. Georgia Educator Ethics — Program Entry Assessment
5. Two official transcripts from all institutions attended (GSU alum need not to send GSU transcripts)
6. 2 Letters of Recommendation
7. Statement of Goals
Upon Program Acceptance you must submit:
1. Signed GaPSC Application for Certification
2. Signed and notarized Verification of Lawful Presence (VLP) affidavit
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION EMAIL TeacherPrepMSE@gsu.edu OR CALL 404-413-8060
Additional specific requirements per program:
English Education (certification for grades 6-12)
- Undergraduate degree in English or the equivalent. Coursework must have included 24 hours of upper-division courses in English content including a minimum of three (3) semester hours in each of the following areas:
- American Literature
- British Literature
- Written Composition
- History or Structure of the English Language
ESOL – Reading, Language and Literacy Education (certification for grades PK-12)
- Undergraduate degree
- One (1) academic year of university-level foreign language sequence (3 quarters or 2 semesters of the same language) OR successful completion of 1 semester of a non-Western language, OR 1 year of living or studying abroad as an adult, OR the acquisition of English as a second language for non-native English speakers.
Mathematics Education (certification for grades 6-12)
- Undergraduate degree in Mathematics or the equivalent. Coursework must have included 24 hours of upper-division courses in Mathematics content including a minimum of three (3)semester hours in each of the following areas:
- Modern or Abstract Algebra
- Linear Algebra
- College Geometry
- Mathematical Statistics
- Advanced Calculus
Middle Level Education: (Certification in two content areas, certification for grades 4-8)
Math / Science Education OR Language Arts / Social Studies Education
- Undergraduate degree.
- Students may be required to take additional content courses to meet the academic proficiency requirements for the content area. These courses may be taken while enrolled in the M.A.T. program.
Social Studies Education (certification for grades 6-12)
- Undergraduate degree in History, Geography, Political Science or Economics. Coursework must have included 24 hours of upper-division courses in one area to form a single concentration(not a combination of the four areas.)
- Certification available in History, Political Science, Economics and Geography
Science Education (certification for grades 6-12)
- Undergraduate degree in Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Engineering. Coursework must have included 24 hours of upper-division courses in Science.
- Certification available in Broad Field Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Earth Science