The Ed.D. in educational leadership with a concentration in higher education administration prepares graduates to be successful leaders in institutions of higher education.
The Ph.D. in educational policy studies with a concentration in higher education is designed for students who wish to pursue research and leadership roles in the higher education community.
The Programs and Concentrations
The Ed.D. higher education administration concentration acts as a cohort model (students stay together during the program) The program is a three-year degree. Courses will focus on practice and applying research to solve educational problems.
The Ph.D. higher education concentration is flexible; students can take courses at their own pace. The program offers interdisciplinary courses and focuses on research, theory and conducting research to solve problems.
Ed.D. and Ph.D. Program Shared Features
- Diverse faculty, renowned scholars and accomplished educational leaders
- Courses with students from both programs
- Tailored to working professionals
- TAP eligible for University System of Georgia employees
- Residential program (with a mix of face-to-face, hybrid and fully online courses)
- Doctoral qualifying exams/dissertation required
- Careers such as educational leader, professor/ higher education instructor, directors or senior administrative *roles in colleges, universities, K-12 schools, government and regulatory agencies
Download flyers for each degree program for information on the concentration’s requirements.
This is the only fully-online master’s program in Higher Education Administration offered by a research-intensive (R1) university in the state.
Georgia State University is an enterprising urban public research institution. Faculty in our program are breaking new ground in how we understand diversity and equity in higher education, minority-serving institutions, higher education policy and student success.
The educational leadership program advances the development and practice of effective educational leadership.
This program addresses educational leaders’ professional needs and supports their long-term career goals in leading schools, school districts and other education agencies in a complex, highly competitive global environment.
We provide senior-level administrators with the following:
- Knowledge and skills necessary to deal effectively with the complex issues facing education today
- Methods of inquiry necessary to analyze educational problems
- Leadership skills necessary to direct the development and implementation of programs to address those problems and to disseminate the results in various professional and public forums
- Knowledge and applied skills rarely provided in traditional advanced degree programs in educational leadership in an alternative format that meets the needs of senior-level administrators.
- Select concentration in:
- Advanced Leadership
- Higher Education Administration
- Tier II
The Ph.D. in Educational Policy Studies allows students to examine the philosophy and practice of education and to develop skills in both the methodology and the study of educational practice. Students will prepare to become policymakers and examiners of policy and the effects of policy on education.
Concentration in Higher Education
The concentration in Higher Education will prepare students for careers in higher education as academics, researchers, policymakers and practitioners. Through an interdisciplinary study of theory, research and content, graduates will be able to understand, analyze and impact higher education in complex ways. Students who pursue the concentration in higher education will explore and challenge a range of perspectives in order to develop an in-depth understanding of higher education; including but not limited to its educational and intellectual core, its institutional and organizational structures, its social, cultural and civic context, as well as its contemporary role as an enterprise.
For information about all of the concentrations within this doctoral program, visit: