“The success of our camp is the children engaging and responding… see kids happy, excited, ready to learn, learning and seeing a change in their behavior in the classroom.” –Dr. Brian Williams, Principal Investigator, SCI-Bridge Project)
“This program has been very helpful and helped me to reflect on my teaching practice.” –Pre-service teacher participant, SCI-Bridge Project, 2021
Summer Science Academy is…
- An opportunity for teachers to learn more about best practices in culturally responsive teaching and about creative, hands-on lessons for engaging students in science!
- A two-week summer program oriented around scientific content knowledge, culturally responsive pedagogy and inquiry pedagogy.
- Geared toward improving the science-related educational experiences of children in urban elementary schools while providing professional development experiences for both pre-service and in-service teachers.
A Look Inside Summer Science Academy
- In-service and pre-service teachers meet with their mentor teacher before and after each class session to plan and reflect on goals for developing practices.
- On the days they are not in the classroom with children, pre-service and in-service teachers participate in professional development sessions aimed at improving practices related to inquiry and culturally responsive pedagogy.
- These professional development sessions:
- provide reflective spaces for considering the application of specific practices in the classroom
- provide collaborative spaces for addressing challenges with implementing specific practices in the classroom
- serve as instructional spaces for introducing new content and practices or revisiting previously presented content and practices