Stress and Resilience
Stress affects physical, mental, and occupational functioning, and can have adverse effects on health and health-related outcomes. Increasingly, the debilitating effects of stress are being recognized by the helping professions and drawn to the attention of the public. Given the pervasiveness of stress and its effects, efforts to understand and manage stress should embrace collaborative, multidisciplinary approaches that build on existing strengths and resources.
The purpose of the Center for the Study of Stress, Trauma, and Resilience at Georgia State University is to facilitate multidisciplinary approaches to produce compelling models for understanding and coping with stress that can be applied to the real-world settings.
Dr. Kenneth Rice
Co-Director of the Center for the Study of Stress, Trauma, and Resilience
List of Publications
- Rice, K. G., Ray, M. E., Davis, D. E., DeBlaere, C., & Ashby, J. S. (in press). Perfectionism and longitudinal patterns of stress for STEM majors: Implications for academic performance. Journal of Counseling Psychology. doi:10.1037/cou0000097
- Richardson, C. M. E., & Rice, K. G. (in press). Self-critical perfectionism, daily stress, and disclosure of daily emotional events. Journal of Counseling Psychology. doi:10.1037/cou0000100
- Albert, P., Rice, K. G., & Caffee, L. (in press). Perfectionism affects blood pressure in response to repeated exposure to stress. Stress and Health: Journal of the International Society for the Investigation of Stress. doi:10.1002/smi.2591
- Richardson, C. E., Rice, K. G., & Devine, D. P. (2014). Perfectionism, emotion regulation, and the cortisol stress response. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 61(1), 110-118. doi:10.1037/a0034446
- Rice, K. G., Lopez, F. G., Richardson, C. M. E., & Stinson, J. M. (2013). Perfectionism moderates stereotype threat effects on STEM majors’ academic performance. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 60, 287-293. doi: http://dx.doi.org.ezproxy.gsu.edu/10.1037/a0032052
- Rice, K. G., Choi, C.-C., Zhang, Y., Morero, Y.I., Anderson, D. (2012). Self-critical perfectionism, acculturative stress, and depression among international students. The Counseling Psychologist, 40, 575-600. doi: http://dx.doi.org.ezproxy.gsu.edu/10.1177/0011000011427061
- Eum, K., & Rice, K. G. (2011). Test anxiety, perfectionism, goal orientation, and academic performance. Anxiety, Stress, and Coping, 24, 167-178. doi:10.1080/10615806.2010.488723
- Rice, K. G., & Van Arsdale, A. C. (2010). Perfectionism, stress, coping, and alcohol-related problems among college students. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 57, 439-450. doi: http://dx.doi.org.ezproxy.gsu.edu/10.1037/a0020221
- Aldea, M. A., & Rice, K. G. (2006). The role of emotional dysregulation in perfectionism and psychological distress. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 53, 498-510. doi: http://content.apa.org.ezproxy.gsu.edu/journals/cou/53/4/498
- Rice, K. G., Leever, B. A., Christopher, J., & Porter, J. D. (2006). Perfectionism, stress, and social (dis)connection: A short-term study of hopelessness, depression, and academic adjustment among honors students. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 53, 524-534. doi: http://content.apa.org.ezproxy.gsu.edu/journals/cou/53/4/524
- DeBlaere, C., & Bertsch, K. N.** (2013). Perceived sexist events and psychological distress of sexual minority women of color: The moderating role of womanism. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 37, 167-178. doi:10.1177/0361684312470436
- DeBlaere, C., Brewster, M. E., Bertsch, K. N.**, DeCarlo, A. L.**, Kegel, K. A.**, & Presseau, C.** (2013). The protective power of collective action for sexual minority women of color: An investigation of multiple discrimination experiences and psychological distress. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 38, 20-32. doi:10.1177/0361684313493252
- Davis, D. E., DeBlaere, C., Hook, J. N., Burnette, J., Van Tongeren, D. R., Rice, K. G., & Worthington, E. L. Jr. (in press). Intergroup forgiveness of race-related offenses. Journal of Counseling Psychology.
- Davis, D., E., DeBlaere, C., Brubaker, K.*, Owen, J., Jordan, T. J.*, Hook, J. N., & Van Tongeren, D. R. (in press). Microaggressions and perceptions of cultural humility in counseling. Journal of Counseling and Development.
Resilience and Liberation at the Intersection: Building a Research Agenda with Trans People of Color
Dr. Anneliese Singh
February 12, 2016
Challenges and Resilience Speaker Series
Pictures from the November 2015 Speaker Series on the topic of Challenges and Resilience. Talks within this topic included: Play Therapy with Terminally Ill Children, Pathogenesis to Salutogenesis: Understanding Health, Recovery, & Subjective Well-Being Among Adult Survivors of Childhood Trauma, & Stress generating & Stress enhancing Effects of Perfectionism on STEM students.
Positive Psychology Speaker Series
Pictures from the October 2015 Speaker Series on the topic of Positive Psychology. Talks within this topic included: The Heart of Hope Study, The Heart of Forgiveness-Seeking after Humble Repentance, Decisional forgiveness, Virtues and Meaning in Life: How Doing Good Might Contribute to the Good Life, Psychology for Ministry: Clergy Attitudes Toward Mental Health.