To begin, create your graduate application by clicking the graduate application button below. Be sure to complete all fields of the application. It is important to submit and pay application fee BEFORE the application deadline. When you have completed the graduate application we encourage you to return to this page and proceed to step 2.
If you have questions or need assistance with your graduate application, please connect with your college-assigned admission advisor.
Unofficial transcripts may be submitted at the time of application for admission review, however, if admission is favorable, official transcripts from each college or university attended should be submitted directly from the institution using one of the following methods:
submit electronically to [email protected] or by mailing directly to:
Georgia State University
Office of Graduate Admissions
P.O. Box 4018
Atlanta, GA 30302
- To send official GRE/MAT/TOEFL/IELTS scores to Georgia State, select institution code 5251.
- For submitting official IETLS scores, select Georgia State University Graduate Admissions.
Applying to a Teacher Certification Program?
If you are applying to a graduate program that results in you receiving your certification to be a Georgia teacher, you must complete the Georgia Ethics Assessment and upload your certificate of completion to your application for graduate admission. Individuals applying for educational leadership will need to take the Georgia Ethics Assessment for Educational Leadership and upload your certificate of completion to your graduate application.
Our programs have specific admissions requirements. You can find them listed under the admissions requirements tab for the program you’ve chosen.
Items you may need to gather include:
- resume/curriculum vitae
- statement of goals
- writing sample
- letters of recommendation
Resume, goal statement, and writing sample (if applicable), can be uploaded into your application under applicant documents.
For letters of recommendation, you can enter the names of your recommenders along with their email addresses under the recommendations section of your application.
Once you submit your application, your recommenders will be emailed a notification requesting a letter of recommendation for you. You can monitor your application status, to include those received letters of recommendation, by logging into your submitted application and viewing your program checklist.
Want to know the status of your application? Log in to your submitted graduate application to view your program checklist. Once all of the required admission items have been received, your application will be reviewed for minimum admission requirements before being routed to the program faculty for an admission decision.
If you need assistance, your college graduate admission advisors are here to help!
International Academic Credentials
Applicants who completed their baccalaureate degree outside of the United States are subject to additional application requirements. International credentials must be equivalent to a U.S. four-year baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution. We understand that in some countries, because of a natural disaster or political strife, it is difficult to get an original transcript. International applicants who do not have access to their transcripts are invited to contact the Office of Graduate Admissions – Graduate School for assistance.
How degree equivalency is evaluated will differ depending on the program to which you apply.
Applicants for graduate programs other than educator certification may either submit an evaluation from one of the agencies listed below or have their credentials evaluated by Georgia State University’s Office of Graduate Admissions – Graduate School. If that office cannot clearly determine an equivalency, a professional evaluation for degree equivalency will be requested by email.
Submit your documents well in advance of the deadline to allow time for evaluation.
- Academic credentials (or transcripts) should be issued in English by the institution and include course listings with grades, degree certification and the institution’s official seal/signature. If the institution does not provide an English translation, a copy of a certified English translation should be included with transcripts.
- If available, the grading scale and student’s GPA (grade point average) should be noted on the official credentials.
- Notarized copies are acceptable or you may bring your credentials to the Office of Graduate Admissions – Graduate School to be copied.
Applicants who have international credentials and apply to a graduate program where a minimum GPA is required for admission must have their official transcripts translated and evaluated course-by-course with GPA (grade point average) calculation by one of the outside agencies listed below. Course-by-course evaluation with GPA calculation should be sent to [email protected] or by mailing to:
Georgia State University
Office of Graduate Admissions
P.O. Box 4018
Atlanta, GA 30302:
- Josef Silny & Associates International Consultants
- International Education Evaluations Inc.
- Educational Perspectives
- SpanTran: The Evaluation Company
- Institute of Foreign Credential Services
In addition, if English is not the primary language, official TOEFL or IETLS scores must be submitted to Georgia State University. TOEFL scores should be submitted using school code 5251 and IETLS scores can be submitted by selecting Georgia State University Graduate Admissions. Applicants must submit a minimum TOEFL score of 79 or a minimum IETLS score of 6.5 for graduate admission. For additional questions regarding international credentials, please contact your college admission advisor directly.
Office of Graduate Admissions Foreign Credential Evaluator | [email protected]
Transient status is for students who are in a graduate program at a regionally accredited institution outside of Georgia State University.
- Fall: July 15
- Spring: December 1
- Summer: May 1
- An online application. Select “College of Education and Human Development” for college; select “Undeclared – College of Education & Human Development; Transient-Graduate” for the program; and then select the appropriate term.
- A $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- Letter of good standing from your “home” institution in a sealed envelope with official’s signature across the sealed portion of the envelope. The letter of good standing can be uploaded to your application for transient status or mailed directly to Office of Graduate Admissions-Graduate School, Georgia State University, P.O. Box 4018 | Atlanta, GA 30302.
- A list of courses in which you wish to enroll with approval from your home institution faculty advisor. Include this list in the “Goals Statement” section of the online application.
Application for graduate re-entry (return to active status) for the College of Education & Human Development is necessary if a student qualifies as a “re-entry” student. A re-entry student is one who has been enrolled at Georgia State University and who meets at least one of the following criteria:
- has not registered for courses at Georgia State during any of the previous three semesters;
- has not registered for six or more credit hours for the current and the preceding two semesters (per the university’s Continuous Enrollment Policy);
- has been on scholastic suspension after an absence of one calendar year;
- has been on scholastic exclusion after an absence of five or more years.
Complete and submit the Graduate Re-entry Application along with a $25.00 application fee. If you have taken graduate courses at another college or university, you will be required to submit official transcripts for all coursework taken since last registering at Georgia State prior to the re-entry deadline.
Deadlines for Re-entry Applications:
- Fall: June 1
- Spring: November 1
- Summer: April 1
The Office of Graduate Student Services assists graduate applicants through the graduate application process as well as guides current graduate students on graduation requirements.