Everything you need to apply for graduate school is here. Let’s get you started.
Office of Graduate Student Services
Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. Monday-Friday
Applicants should request that official transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mailing directly to:
Georgia State University
Office of Admissions — Graduate School
P.O. Box 4018
Atlanta, GA 30302
Please note that official transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended are required.
To send official GRE/MAT/TOEFL/IELTS scores to Georgia State, select institution code 5251.
For submitting official IETLS scores, select Georgia State University Graduate Admissions.
If you are applying to a graduate program that results in you receiving your certification to be a Georgia teacher, you must complete the Georgia Ethics Assessment (350) and submit GACE Program Admission Assessment scores to Georgia State using school code 5090.
Our programs have specific admissions requirements. You can find them listed under the Admissions Requirements tab per program page.
Items you may need to gather include:
- Resume/curriculum vitae
- Statement of goals
- Writing sample
- Letters of recommendation
The top three items can be uploaded into your application under Applicant Documents.
For letters of recommendation, you can enter the names of your recommenders along with their email addresses under the Recommendations section of your application.
Once you submit your application, your recommenders will be emailed instructions on attaching a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
Want to know the status of your application? Log in to your graduate application to view your program checklist. Once all of the required admission items have been received, your application will be reviewed for minimum admission requirements before being routed to the program faculty for an admission decision.
View recorded webinars on how to apply for our programs below. We’ll help guide you through the process.
Creative & Innovative Education M.A. (MA CIE)
Play recording (33 min 10 sec)
M.Ed./Tier I & Ed.S./Tier II Educational Leadership
Play recording (30 min 46 sec) »
Middle & Secondary Education M.A.T.
Play recording (29 min) »
Webinar for May 1st application deadline
Webinar for June 1st application deadline
Play recording (20 minutes)
Webinar for June 15th application deadline
Play recording (50 minutes)
Webinar for July 1st application deadline
Play recording (32 minutes)
Webinar for October 15th application deadline
Play recording (15 minutes)
International Academic Credentials
Applicants who completed their baccalaureate degree outside of the United States are subject to additional application requirements. International credentials must be equivalent to a U.S. four-year baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution. We understand that in some countries, because of a natural disaster or political strife, it is difficult to get an original transcript. International applicants who do not have access to their transcripts are invited to submit a petition to the Dean of the College of Education & Human Development to consider other possible arrangements.
How degree equivalency is evaluated will differ depending on the program to which you apply.
Applicants for graduate programs other than educator certification may either submit an evaluation from one of the agencies listed below or have their credentials evaluated by Georgia State University’s Office of Admissions – Graduate School. If that office cannot clearly determine an equivalency, a professional evaluation for degree equivalency will be requested by email.
Submit your documents well in advance of the deadline to allow time for evaluation.
- Academic credentials (or transcripts) should be issued in English by the institution and include course listings with grades, degree certification and the institution’s official seal/signature. If the institution does not provide an English translation, a copy of a certified English translation should be included with transcripts.
- If available, the grading scale and student’s GPA (grade point average) should be noted on the official credentials.
- Notarized copies are acceptable or you may bring your credentials to the Office of Admissions – Graduate Programs to be copied.
Applicants for programs that provide initial educator certification must have their official transcripts translated and evaluated course-by-course with GPA (grade point average) calculation by one of the outside agencies listed below:
- Josef Silny & Associates International Consultants
- International Education Evaluations Inc.
- Educational Perspectives
- SpanTran: The Evaluation Company
- Institute of Foreign Credential Services
In addition, if English is not the primary language, official TOEFL or IETLS scores must be submitted to Georgia State University. TOEFL scores should be submitted using school code 5251 and IETLS scores can be submitted by selecting Georgia State University Graduate Admissions. Applicants must submit a minimum TOEFL score of 79 or a minimum IETLS score of 6.5 for graduate admission. For additional questions regarding international credentials, please contact your college admission advisor directly.
Michael D. Carter | last names A-F | email@example.com
Michelle McKnight | last names G-M | firstname.lastname@example.org
Caroline Bukundo | last names N-Z | email@example.com
Mary Blount | Senior Foreign Credential Evaluator | firstname.lastname@example.org
Transient status is for students who are in a graduate program at a regionally accredited institution outside of Georgia State University.
- Fall: July 15
- Spring: December 1
- Summer: May 1
- An online application. Select “College of Education and Human Development” for college; select “Undeclared – College of Education & Human Development; Transient-Graduate” for the program; and then select the appropriate term.
- A $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- Letter of good standing from your “home” institution in a sealed envelope with official’s signature across the sealed portion of the envelope. Letter can be uploaded to your application for transient status or mailed to Office of Admissions – Graduate Programs, Georgia State University, Sparks Hall 325, 33 Gilmer Street SE, Atlanta, GA 30302.
- A list of courses in which you wish to enroll. Include this list in the “Goals Statement” section of the online application.
Application for graduate reentry (return to active status) for the College of Education & Human Development is necessary if a student qualifies as a “reentry” student. A reentry student is one who has been enrolled at Georgia State University and who meets at least one of the following criteria:
- has not registered for courses at Georgia State during any of the previous three semesters;
- has not registered for six or more credit hours for the current and the preceding two semesters (per the university’s Continuous Enrollment Policy);
- has been on scholastic suspension after an absence of one calendar year;
- has been on scholastic exclusion after an absence of five or more years.
Complete and submit the Graduate Reentry Application along with a $25.00 application fee. If you have taken graduate courses at another college or university, you will be required to submit official transcripts for all coursework taken since last registering at Georgia State prior to the reentry deadline.
Deadlines for Reentry Applications:
- Fall: June 1
- Spring: November 1
- Summer: April 1
The Office of Graduate Student Services helps students through the graduate admissions process as well guide students on graduation requirements.
College Graduate Advisors
- Michael D. Carter — M.Ed. advisor email: email@example.com
- Michelle McKnight — M.S. advisor email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Caroline Bukundo — M.A.T. advisor email: email@example.com
- Carla Woods – Ed.S., Ed.D., Ph.D. & Graduate Certificates email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leslie Gillett – M.A. advisor email: email@example.com