Admission to your program requires that you now do three things:
- Claim enrollment in your Georgia State program with the GaPSC (Correspondence with the GaPSC requires you access email sent to or forwarded from your PantherMail inbox – your student email can be set up through PantherMail.)
- Submit your Pre-Service Certification application, which allows you to be placed in school sites during your practicum coursework. Submitted by students online or with help from the Office of Field Placements and Certification (OFPC)
- Submit proof of Tort Liability Insurance to OFPC
To Claim Enrollment:
- Log into your My PSC account
- Choose the Program tab
- Select Georgia State University from the drop-down menu and enter your Panther Identification Number
- Click the confirm link twice to receive the message “Enrollment Verified”
Pre-Service Certificate on MyPSC
- Personal Affirmation, 9-question survey (by student)
- Apply for Pre-Service (by student)
- Submit notarized Lawful Presence form (by student or OFPC staff)
- GACE scores or exempting test scores i.e. GRE, ACT, SAT (by student or OFPC staff)
Once admitted to your teacher certification program, you will need a pre-service certificate for field placements associated with your program. Immediately after admission, you will receive an email from the Office of Field Placements and Certification (OFPC) instructing you to apply for your pre-service certificate. A guide developed by the GaPSC can be found here (PDF).
Lawful Presence — how to prepare the notarized form and photo ID
You must complete the lawful presence document. Students can submit this notarized paperwork and proper ID but the OFPC can facilitate this with help from on-staff notary public.
- Do not place a security lock on your PDF file. The easiest way to avoid this is to print the application, manually complete it, and then scan and save it as one PDF file.
- Forms must be signed with blue or black pens, not a computer font.
- Notaries are found at office supply, shipping stores and many bank branches. Or contact the OFPC.
- Download the Instructions for Completing Verification of Lawful Presence Affidavit
Proof of Tort Liability Insurance
Students are required to provide proof of tort liability coverage at the beginning of each term of a field experience. If your coverage expires prior to you actually beginning the experience or during the experience; you will be required to submit proof again. That proof can be a photocopy of your membership card or a copy of the membership letter addressed to you, or if you have private coverage a photocopy of documentation showing length and type of coverage. *All documentation must include your name and indicate the period of coverage. Do not submit originals but copies or PDFs, they will not be returned. Obtain tort liability.
A requirement for initial certification in Georgia is completion of teacher education requirements. This may be accomplished in one of the following ways at Georgia State University (options vary by program):
- Students may complete an approved educator preparation degree program as described in the College of Arts & Sciences or the College of Education & Human Development chapters of the Georgia State undergraduate catalog.
- Students may complete or present a non-educator preparation bachelor’s degree and all additional components of an approved educator preparation degree program.
Students who complete a Georgia State University educator preparation program and who present a passing score or scores on the appropriate Georgia Assessments for the Certification of Educators (GACE) Content Assessments may be eligible for the Georgia State recommendation for teacher certification. The College of Education & Human Development’s Office of Field Placements and Certification can issue the recommendation to the prospective teacher shortly after commencement, following the term of completion of requirements.
Undergraduate candidates for certification may not take GACE content assessments prior to meeting eligibility requirements for their program. Those students in undergraduate teaching fields — or in educational leadership, curriculum instruction, school psychology or counseling — must select Reason for Testing #2 when establishing their GaPSC account prior to registering for the test. For more information, contact your program coordinator.
Students wishing to teach in other states can contact the office at any point in their career for this verification for any other state’s certification board that accepts Georgia standards.
If you have recently completed an approved certification program at Georgia State, the following are instructions for applying for your certificate.
There are three ways to apply for certification in Georgia: You are seeking initial certification, adding a new field or endorsement to an existing certification or upgrading an existing certificate. The application process is the same for each method of certification.
If you are seeking an initial certificate or adding a new field or endorsement to an existing certificate or upgrading an existing certificate, follow these steps:
- Fill out Section 1 of the Georgia PSC Approved Program Completion Form and submit to Basja Tibbs by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), in person (College of Education & Human Development, Suite 300) or by mail (Georgia State University, Attn: Certification Officer, Office of Field Placements and Certification, P.O. Box 3977, Atlanta, GA 30302-3977).
- Log in to your MyPSC account, and complete the Personal Affirmation Questions (PAQs).
- Request official transcripts from every college or university you have attended, including Georgia State, and have them sent to the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC). Georgia State transcripts can be requested via PAWS. Instructions for requesting Georgia State transcripts can be found here. Transcripts from other institutions should be sent to the GaPSC by email (email@example.com).
- Upload required forms, such as the Verification of Lawful Presence and Affidavit, (if not previously submitted).
- Submit the Employer Assurance Form to your employer if you have signed a contract or pay the $20 processing (if you hold a certificate other than the Pre-Service certificate).
If you have either completed or are nearing completion of a program that leads to certification in the College of Education & Human Development or the College of Arts & Sciences and you have a question about your recommendation for certification, you may contact the university’s certification officer: