Middle and high school students (6th-12th grade) in metro Atlanta are invited to participate in the Department of Middle and Secondary Education’s spoken word competition.
Students are encouraged to submit an original poem in response to the following prompt: How can you celebrate and recognize a teacher who has inspired and influenced you?
Step 1: Think about a teacher who has inspired you.
Step 2: Create a poem that celebrates this teacher’s influence.
Step 3: Practice performing the poem you wrote.
Step 4: Record a performance of your poem and upload it to a publicly accessible platform, like YouTube.
Step 5: By Nov. 30, submit your typed poem and performance link to [email protected].
- Poet addresses the prompt adequately
- Must be an original poem written and performed by a student poet (middle and high school students, ages 13-19, invited to participate)
- Spoken word/performance poetry is clear, audible and coherent
- Poet posts a video to a publicly accessible online platform (e.g., YouTube) and submits this link, along with a typed version of the poem
- Submit your entry to [email protected] by Wednesday, Nov. 30.