Teachers, counselors and other educational personnel must be certified by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission to be employed in the state’s elementary, middle and secondary public schools. Private elementary and secondary schools may also require state certification for employment.
You will complete the GaPSC Pre-Service Certificate Application (which includes an affidavit that must be notarized) and submit it, including a copy of a secure and verifiable lawful presence document, to the COE OAA -- scan all paperwork (in order listed) as one single PDF file and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Note: do not place a security lock on your PDF file. The easiest way to avoid this is to print the application, manually complete it, and then scan and save as one PDF file).
How to Complete & Submit the PreService Application Package:
- Complete all pages in the PreService Application Package (includes page 1-application and page 3-O.C.G.A. affidavit (affidavit must be notarized -- signed in the presence of a Notary Public)
- Carefully review page 2-the "Instructions for Completing Verification of Lawful Presence Affidavit"
- Make a copy of a secure and verifiable document as described in the "Instructions for Completing Verification of Lawful Presence Affidavit." Please ensure that the copy of the ID you presented to the Notary Public is valid, unexpired, clear, and legible.
- Scan all of the above (omit page 2-"Instructions for Completing Verification of Lawful Presence Affidavit) in order described as one single PDF file (three pages total) and email to email@example.com -- please include the Subject: Pre-Service Certificate
Note: do not place a security lock on your PDF file. The easiest way to avoid this is to print the application, manually complete all forms, and then scan (with copy of Lawful Presence document) and save as one PDF file.
Once received, the OAA COE will verify your paperwork and submit it to the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC). The GaPSC will notify you when your certificate is ready.
- Students may complete an approved educator preparation degree program as described in the College of Arts and Sciences or the College of Education chapter of the Georgia State University Undergraduate Catalog.
- Students may complete or present a non-educator preparation bachelor's degree and all additional components of an approved educator preparation degree program.
Initial certification programs in Behavior/Learning Disabilities, Communication Disorders, Educational Leadership, English Education, Health and Physical Education, Mathematics Education, Multiple and Severe Disabilities, Reading, School Counseling, School Psychology, Science Education, and Social Studies Education are available only at the graduate level.
The College of Education offers six Master of Arts in Teaching programs which prepare students for initial certification in the following fields: English Education, Mathematics Education, Middle Level Education, Reading, Language and Literacy Education (ESOL), Science Education, and Social Studies Education. See the current Georgia State University Graduate Catalog for more information on the university's master's level programs.
Undergraduate candidates for certification may not take GACE content assessments prior to meeting eligibility requirements for their program. Remember, those students in undergraduate teaching fields, or in Educational Leadership, Media, School Psychology, or Counseling, must select Reason for Testing #2 when establishing their PSC account prior to registering for the test. In addition, candidate's program providers must also grant eligibility to test before ETS will allow registration for the assessment. For more information, contact your program coordinator.
Students wishing to teach in other states can contact the office at any point in their career for this verification for any other state's certification board that accepts Georgia standards.