pen on book

Advising Services: Undergraduate & Graduate

Undergraduate Student Advising

Welcome, Seniors! Seniors (students with 90 or more credit hours) have their own personal “senior” advisor, assigned according to major. We encourage you to contact your advisor whenever you have a question or need someone to talk to:

  • Majors or pre-majors in Exercise Science, Health & Physical Education, Sign Language Interpreting, or the BIS in Sport AdministrationJennifer Sukanek — 404-413-8160;  (contact for an appointment).
  • Majors or pre-majors in Birth Through Five, Early Childhood and Elementary Education, Middle Level Education, Special Education, or the BIS in Human Learning & Development: Aileen Taylor  404-413-8162; (contact for an appointment).

Location: College of Education & Human Development, Office of Academic Assistance & Graduate Admissions (OAA), Suite 300 (3rd floor)  404-413-8000

Walk-in Advisement (no appointment needed):  Wednesdays 9 a.m. – 4:45 p.m. Other times by appointment (preferred) – OAA advisors often are off site for University-wide commitments, so for your convenience, an appointment is your best bet.

Undergraduate Major Information Sessions: Last Tuesday of the month (except December) from 3:30 – 5:00 p.m. Hosted by OAA advisors, these sessions are open to all GSU undergraduate students who have questions about majors in the College of Education & Human Development, teacher certification, and graduate school. For a list of upcoming sessions and locations, click here.

Undergraduate students with less than 90 completed hours see advisors in the University Advisement Center at 25 Park Place (the former SunTrust tower). Freshmen advisors are in Suite 400 (4th floor), and sophomore and junior advisors are in Suite 500 (5th floor).

Here’s what your senior advisor will do for you:

  • work with you to build an academic plan towards graduation;
  • review undergraduate transfer credit for you if you’ve completed coursework at other institutions;
  • confirm your eligibility for entry into teacher education (majors that get you certified as a teacher);
  • help you choose courses each term;
  • explain and administer college and university policies found in the catalog;
  • plan for graduate school and your career and life goals;
  • refer you to other sources of assistance when needed;
  • audit you for graduation clearance; and
  • celebrate when you graduate!

Graduate Student Advising

Welcome, graduate students! Most of your advising takes place in your department with your program faculty advisor (noted in your admission letter), your academic committee, and/or the faculty member most familiar with your program of study.

Part of being a graduate student  means completing many forms, so be sure to review the “For Graduate Students” section of Forms, Policies & Regulations.

We are here to help! Your College of Education & Human Development Office of Academic Assistance and Graduate Admissions (OAA) and Student Services (Suite 300 in the College of Education & Human Development building) partners with your academic department to help you successfully complete your degree.  We assist you in navigating graduate student policies and procedures, recommend you for certification (when applicable), and evaluate your clearance for graduation. Your OAA contact is

  • Carla Woods — 404-413-8159;  (M.Ed., M.S., Doctoral, and Non-Degree graduate students)
  • Steve Mendenhall — 404-413-8000;  (M.A.T. graduate students)

Here is advisement information specific to your degree: