Information for Ed.D. students
Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) degree candidates will be recognized individually at the College of Education & Human Development’s Convocation Ceremony.
Registration is required to participate in the College of Education & Human Development’s Spring Convocation Ceremony. The registration deadline (April 28) has passed; if you have questions about participating, please e-mail email@example.com with “Spring Convocation RSVP” in the subject line.
All Ed.D. graduates must check in between 8:30 and 10 a.m. on the 4th floor of the Sports Arena.
- Graduates should enter the Sports Arena on the first floor and take the stairs or elevator to the 4th floor.
- Guests should enter the Sports Arena by using the escalators outside the Sports Arena. Those unable to use the escalators can enter on the first floor and take the elevator to the 3rd floor, where the ceremony will take place.
All graduates must be checked in and present in the student holding room by 10 a.m.; graduates arriving after 10 a.m. may not be permitted to march. Important instructions about the ceremony will be given to students at that time and we will then begin lining up for the processional.
At registration, you will be given a blue card with your name, degree information, and the name of your major professor on it. Hold on to this card – you will give it to the announcer during the ceremony for your recognition. If you have a spelling correction or want to confirm the pronunciation of your name, please see the announcer, who will be located in the holding room with you.
We kindly ask that all Ed.D. graduates participating in Convocation please leave their valuables with guests or prepare to take valuables with them during the procession. You will not be allowed to march in the processional with extra possessions. Ladies, please limit your purse to a small clutch or shoulder bag worn discreetly under your robe. Note: The College of Education & Human Development is not responsible for any valuables left unattended in the designated holding room or ceremony room.
For Ed.D. Students Who Want to Purchase Regalia
Herff Jones is running an Ed.D. custom regalia promotion offering $100 off to anyone who wants to purchase a gown, hood and cap (you will need these three items to complete your regalia, especially your hood). This promotion is valid through Feb. 24. Custom orders average around $700/$800.
There are three ways that you can purchase custom regalia:
- You can fill out this form. Once completed, you can scan and e-mail the form to Paul Messier at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you may deliver your completed form to the GSU Bookstore (please ask for Antione Wesson, merchandise manager).
- You can place your order online at http://colleges.herffjones.com/college/georgiastate. The promo code to receive the $100 discount is: GSUEDD100
- You may place your order at the GSU Bookstore by submitting the attached form to the Herff Jones representative in person.
Please note: Paul Messier, the Herff Jones representative for GSU, will be at the GSU Bookstore Jan. 17 and Feb. 15-16 from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. to take orders and answer any questions that you have. So, if you are on campus, please stop by the bookstore to place your order, if you plan to purchase. Please note that it takes up to six weeks to make a custom purchase so it is highly recommended that if you plan to purchase, do so by Feb. 24.
When placing your order for a purchased gown, you will need to provide measurements, as your gowns are custom made. If you stop by the bookstore on Jan. 17 or Feb. 15-16, you can get measured on site. If you plan to measure yourself, please review this cap measurements PDF and this regalia measurements PDF from Herff Jones that may be helpful in making sure you have the most accurate measurements.
Custom orders are mailed to the address that you specify.
For Ed.D. Students Who Want to Rent Regalia
- If you would like to rent Ed.D. regalia, you may do so by visiting http://colleges.herffjones.com/college/georgiastate.
- Please note that when you go to this site, for rentals you must click on “Cap and Gown for All Graduates,” and then you will be able to select the Ed.D. apparel for rental. Rentals average around $145.
- You can complete rentals online between now – March 21 at 11:59 pm.
- If you place your online order by Feb. 16 (which is considered the early deadline), then your regalia will be available for pick-up at the GSU Commencement Fair, scheduled for March 20-21 from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. on both days in the GSU Student Center East Ballroom.
- If you place your order online after Feb. 16, then your regalia can be picked up at the University Bookstore May 1 – 6.
Please note: If you decide to rent instead of purchasing now, the amount you spend on a rental cannot be applied towards a future purchase. So, we highly recommend that if you are considering owning your gown, please consider purchasing now and take advantage of the $100 discount.
On the day of the ceremony, please come dressed in your gown and as a reminder, please do not bring extra items with you. You do not need to wear your hood upon arrival, but please make sure you have your hood with you. Note: The College of Education & Human Development is not responsible for any valuables left unattended in the designated holding room or ceremony room.
When you arrive, please send your family and friends directly to the ceremony room for seating. It is imperative that you and your guests arrive on time. There are no tickets needed for guests to enter the ceremony and seating is available on a first come, first served basis.
Please alert your guests that the Ed.D. hooding and recognition is the first recognition for the ceremony. Therefore, arriving early and on time is very important, so they will not miss your recognition.
If you or your guests need any special accommodations, please contact us as soon as possible at email@example.com so we may address your needs.
The hooding of doctoral candidates at Convocation is considered a very special occasion by the College of Education & Human Development. It signifies the culmination of doctoral studies and the transition from candidate to colleague; it is and should be an important moment for those involved. We want to help make the moment meaningful and have it transpire smoothly.
Because the hooding ceremony occurs at Convocation in front of a large audience and requires a series of movements, here are instructions for those who will participate.
Photographers from Grad Images will take an individual shot of you, and a shot of you with your major advisor, as you walk across and exit the stage during the hooding and recognition.
Representatives will reach out to all students via mail and/or e-mail in the days following the ceremony with a passport-sized photo proof, along with the opportunity to select from a variety of photo packages. There is no obligation to purchase these photos. You will be given the opportunity to provide an e-mail address at registration for Grad Images to contact you. If you would prefer Grad Images use your GSU student e-mail address, please be sure to check your account in the weeks following the ceremony.
Additional candid photos of the ceremony will be posted to the College of Education & Human Development’s Flickr account.
Please note: Grad Images agrees to protect students’ right to privacy by not selling or providing the names and addresses of our candidates for graduation to another company for any purpose.