- Doctor in Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision, University of New Orleans, 2005
Masters of Education in Professional Counseling, University of New Orleans, 2002
Bachelor of Arts in English and Classical Studies, Tulane University, 1994
- Group work and group dynamics
Diversity issues in counseling
Social justice and advocacy
Pedagogy in counselor education
Jonathan Orr is a nationally certified counselor and a licensed professional counselor in Georgia. His teaching and research interests include: group work, social justice, supervision, mindfulness, multicultural counseling, theory development, and professional counselor identity. He has published works in respected academic journals and conducted workshops and presentations at the local, state, regional, and national levels. He is an active leader within the Association for Specialist in Group Work, the American Counseling Association, and the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. Additional areas of specialty for Orr in clinical practice include consultation to business and industry and clinical supervision for mental health counselors.
- Smith, J. & Orr, J (2013, October) “Exploring the effectiveness of photo-journaling: Developing social and cultural self-awareness among counselors-in-training.” Presented (education session) for 2013 Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, Denver, CO.
- Stewart, L, Orr, J, Chang, C., & Corthell, K. (2013, October) “Animal assisted therapy as a supervision strategy: Building alliances and promoting discussions.” Presented (education session) for 2013 Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, Denver, CO.
- Smith, J & Orr, J. (2012, September) Using Photographic Expression in Client Development. Presented (education session) for 2012 Association for Creativity in Counseling Conference, Memphis, TN.
- Singh, A., Corey, G., Salazar, C. F., McMahon, H. G., Grimmett, M.A., Orr, J. J., Bailey, D. (2010, March). “Using group counseling and leadership skills for social justice advocacy: Opening hearts, shifting minds. Presented (education session) for 2010 American Counseling Association Conference, New Orelans, LA.
- Skudrzyk, B. J., Monterio-Leitner, J, Orr, J. J., Eberts, S., Mensching, H., & Hugle, K. (2010, March). “Multicultural creative arts: Implications for group work conducive to healing and wellness.” Presented (education session) for 2010 American Counseling Association Conference, New Orelans, LA.