B.S. in Biology, The Pennsylvania State University, 1992-1996
M.S. in Skeletal Muscle Physiology and Biochemistry,Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University,1998-2000
Ph.D. in Skeletal Muscle Physiology and Biochemistry,Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2000-2003
Ph. D. Emory University School of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology,Advisor: Grace K. Pavlath,2003-2005
Emory University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine,Advisor: David M. Guidot, 2005-2008
Jeff Otis focuses his research interests on the development of skeletal muscle myopathies that occur secondary to chronic disease. In parallel, he attempts to abrogate these myopathies with nutritional interventions (e.g., glutathione supplementation) or exercise.
Currently, he is investigating the separate and co-morbid effects of chronic alcoholism and HIV-1 infection on skeletal muscle structure and function. These disease states are prevalent in urban communities. He is eager to collaborate with other PUHR researchers.
1. EE Spangenburg, SJ Lees, JS Otis, RJ Talmadge, TI Musch, JH Williams. Effects of moderate heart failure and functional overload on rat plantaris muscle. J Appl Physiol 2002, 92(1):18-24.
2. JS Otis, RR Roy, VR Edgerton, RJ Talmadge. Adaptations in metabolic capacity of rat soleus after paralysis J Appl Physiol 2004, 96(2):584-596.
3. RJ Talmadge, JS Otis, MR Rittler, ND Garcia, SR Spencer, SJ Lees, FJ Naya. Calcineurin activation influences muscle phenotype in a muscle-specific fashion. BMC Cell Biol 2004, 5(1):28.
4. JS Otis, TJ Burkholder, GK Pavlath. Stretch-induced myoblast proliferation is dependent on the COX2 pathway. Exp Cell Res 2005, 310(2):417-425.
5. JS Otis, LAS Brown, DM Guidot. Oxidant-induced atrogin-1 and TGFβ1 precede alcoholic myopathy in rats. Muscle Nerve 2007, 36(6):842-848.
6. JS Otis, SJ Lees, JH Williams. Functional overload attenuates plantaris atrophy in tumor-bearing rats. BMC Cancer 2007, 7:146.
7. JS Otis, YI Ashikhmin, DM Guidot. Atrogin-1 and TGFβ1 are induced in skeletal and cardiac muscles in HIV-1 transgenic rats. AIDS Res Ther 2008, 5:8.
8. JS Otis, PO Mitchell, CD Kershaw, P Joshi, DM Guidot. Na,K-ATPase expression is increased in the lungs of alcohol-fed rats. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2008, 32(4):699-705.
9. JS Otis, DM Guidot. Procysteine stimulates expression of key anabolic factors and reduces plantaris atrophy in alcohol-fed rats. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2009, 33(8):1450-1459.
10. JS Otis, DM Guidot. Procysteine increases alcohol-depleted glutathione stores in rat plantaris following a period of abstinence. Alcohol Alcohol 2010, 45(6):495-500.
11. CR Clary, DM Guidot, MA Bratina, JS Otis. Chronic alcohol abuse exacerbates skeletal muscle myopathy in HIV-1 transgenic rats. AIDS Res Ther 2011, 8(1):30.
12. R Kusko, K Kafadar-Long, C Banerjee, A Darcy, JS Otis, P Sebastiani, S Melov, M Tarnopolsky, S Bhasin, M Montano. Premature expression of a muscle fibrosis axis in chronic HIV infection. Skeletal Muscle 2012 Jun 7;2(1).
13. GJ Dekeyser, CR Clary, JS Otis. Chronic alcohol ingestion delays skeletal muscle regeneration following injury. Reg Med Res 2013 1:2.