Admissions Checklist for Master's Degree
- Submission of Online College of Education Application for Graduate Admission with $50.00 non-refundable application fee.
- Two official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions you have attended, except for GSU. Even if you have applied to or attended Georgia State prior to this application, all transcripts must be sent; transcripts received prior to this application are not available for the Graduate Admissions Committee's use. Each transcript must be in a sealed envelope with the university registrar's signature across the flap. All transcripts must be received in order to process your application. International applicants must submit an evaluation made by an independent evaluation service -- Joseph SILNY, ECE, or WES.
- Official Graduate Record Exam (GRE)scores should be sent directly to Georgia State University from the Educational Testing Service. Scores should not be more than five years old at the time of application. The institution code for Georgia State University is 5251.
- Applicants whose native language is one other than English should also submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Exception: This is not required of international applicants who have received an accredited bachelor's degree or a higher degree from a U.S. institution.
- Applicants for some initial teacher certification programs must submit GACE scores (see http://www.gapsc.com/ for additional information) unless exempted per the Georgia Professional Standards Commission Please check http://www.gapsc.com/documentation/basicskillsinfo.asp for a list of those options to exempt the GACE Basic Skills assessment. Refer to the "Applications Materials List" to see if your program requires you pass the GACE Basic Skills test for admission.
- A 300-500 word statement of purpose (goal statement) (your professional/career goals) completed on the online application, if required by your program. This is your opportunity to explain how your career and educational goals are compatible with those of the program to which you are applying. An applicant for the Sports Administration program must submit a complete history of his or her sports background. Applicants to School Counseling and Professional Counseling must indicate how their career goals and objectives are relevant to the program.
- Two (or three) letters of recommendation should be submitted, using the online application notification process on the application or letters submitted directly to this office. Check the "Applications Materials Required" list for the number of letters required, and specific guidelines as to whom should write your letters.
- A writing sample -- if required by your program (check the Application Materials Required list) -- this document may be published or unpublished.
- A resume or vita -- if required by your program (check the Application Materials Required list) should be included with your application. This document should describe all professional employment and work-related experience, as well as past educational endeavors.
- Specific certification requirements must be met for admission to some master's programs -- check the Applications Materials Required list for details.