Criminal Background Checks
Instructions for obtaining your Background Check
for Georgia State University, College of Education
Georgia State University College of Education - First Check & ReCheck
GSU students who are required to complete a field-based experience for a course including observation, tutoring, practicum or student teaching must obtain a criminal background check prior to placement.
The background checks are conducted by PreCheck, Inc., a firm specializing in background checks. Your order must be placed online through StudentCheck.
Cost for your FIRST check: $49.50
Some programs or placement sites require that a criminal background check may not be more than one year old.
Cost for your SECOND AND ALL SUBSEQUENT checks: $29.00
You are required to order your background check in sufficient time for it to be reviewed by the school administration prior to starting your field experience or student teaching. A background check typically takes 3 - 5 normal business days to complete.
Complete all required fields and hit Continue to enter your payment information. The payment can be made securely online with a credit or debit card. You may also pay by mail via money order, but that will result in a delay of processing your background check until the money order is received by mail at the PreCheck office.
For your records, you will be provided a receipt and a confirmation page of your background check order placed through PreCheck, Inc.
PreCheck will not use your information for any other purposes other than a background check. Your credit will not be investigated, and your name will not be given out to any businesses.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- How long does the report take to complete? Most reports are completed within 3-5 business weekdays.
- I selected the wrong school, program, or need to correct some other information entered, what do I do? Please email StudentCheck@PreCheck.com with the details
- Do I get a copy of the report? Yes. Log into www.mystudentcheck.com and click on “here”, and enter your SSN and DOB. If your report is complete, you may click on the application number to download and print a copy. This feature is good for 90 days after submittal. After 90 days, you will be charged $14.95 for a copy of your report, and will need to contact PreCheck directly to request this.
- Does PreCheck need every street address where I have lived over the past 7 years? No. Just the city and state.
- I am an international student and therefore I do not have a Social Security Number -- how can I complete the background check? You will need to enter 111-11-1111 for your social security number and include your residences for the past 7 years even if they are out of the United States. This will prevent Student PreCheck from calling you to confirm that you do not have a social security number.
- I have been contacted by my College to provide clarification regarding information on my report and that I should contact PreCheck. Where should I call? Call PreCheck’s Adverse Action hotline at 800-203-1654. Adverse Action is the procedure established by the Fair Credit Reporting Act that allows you to see the report and to dispute anything reported.
- I have a criminal record. What should I do? Disclose the crime on your application.
If you need assistance while placing your online order, please contact PreCheck at StudentCheck@PreCheck.com. For additional questions, click here for policies and procedures regarding criminal background checks. If you need additional assistance, contact the GSU Office of Field Placement, College of Education building 3rd floor , suite 300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org