K-5 Mathematics Endorsement
This endorsement is intended for teachers who hold a clear, renewable certificate, level 4 or higher in in one of the following areas: Early Childhood Education, Middle Grades - Mathematics, or Special Education General Curriculum/Early Childhood Education. Other areas of Special Education are eligible to enroll if they have a core academic content concentration in mathematics.
ECE 7393 Number and Operation in the Elementary Classroom (3)
ECE 7394 Geometry and Measurement in the Elementary Classroom (3)
ECE 7395 Algebra in the Elementary Classroom (3)
ECE 7396 Data Analysis and Probability in the Elementary Classroom (3)
ECE 7740 Internship in Early Childhood Classroom I (3)
Total hours for endorsement: minimum of 15 semester hours
All K-5 Mathematics Endorsement Program applicants must submit the following items and meet stated criteria:
- Application for Admission to Graduate Admission (online application). A nondegree applicant must specify K-5 Mathematics Endorsement Program on the application.
- Nonrefundable application fee of $50.00 (paid on line with application). The application fee is nonrefundable and does not apply toward registration fees.
- University Information Sheet (included in online application).
- Two official transcripts of all previous college-level work must be sent directly to the Office of Academic Assistance and Graduate Admissions. Request transcripts by writing the Registrar of each college or university previously attended. Official transcripts must be sent directly from each institution previously attended. Current or former Georgia State University students do not have to provide transcripts from Georgia State University.
- Evidence of a Clear Renewable teaching certificate, level 4 or higher in an eligible field specified in PSC Educator Preparation Rule 505-3-.68.
- A 300-500 word statement of professional preparation, experience, and career goals. Describe your university mathematics coursework, recent mathematics professional development, experience teaching elementary mathematics, any mathematics endorsement already held, and your personal career goals relating to mathematics education.
- Conversion of K-5 Mathematics Endorsement for Previous Program Completers: Conversion to the new K-5 Mathematics Endorsement requires that students apply as a non-degree student seeking the K-5 Mathematics Endorsement (unless currently enrolled in another GSU program). The following are required for the conversion.
- Evidence of Content and Pedagogical Content Knowledge. Previous program completers will be required to receive a grade of B or better on each of four sections of an examination representing the knowledge delineated in the program content standards specified in PSC Rule 505-3-.68 (2)(g). Each of the four examination sections will correspond to the content of ECE 7393, 7394, 7395, and 7396, respectively. Candidates who do not receive a grade of B or better on any section of this examination with will be required to complete the corresponding course with a final grade of B or better.
- Evidence of Completion of an Authentic Residency and Portfolio. Previous program completers will be required to pass ECE 7740 (a field placement course), which will provide an authentic residency. Previous program completers will be required to teach several lessons in an elementary classroom for observation and feedback by a university instructor. Further, students must submit a portfolio as part of the evaluated assignments in ECE 7740.
- Evaluation of the Portfolio. The portfolio required in ECE 7740 will be evaluated by a trained and qualified supervisor serving as the instructor for that course. The evaluation will address the quality of the candidate’s work and its completeness in satisfying the portfolio guidelines. The evaluation of the portfolio will be separate from the evaluation of the authentic residency. A grade of Satisfactory on both the residency component and the portfolio component are required to receive a grade of Satisfactory for ECE 7740.