Graduate Application Steps
1. Online application and fee: Go to the online application form, create your application account, and complete the application. Have your goals statement, resume, and names and emails of your recommenders ready to include. Submit with $50 payment (via credit card). Submit your application as early as possible — as soon as you submit, you will be assigned a personal admissions specialist who will update your application as materials (test scores, transcripts, letters of recommendation) arrive. Your admissions specialist will be your “go to” contact for all questions and concerns regarding your application. Don’t delay, submit today!
2. Application materials required: Different programs have different requirements as to entry tests and scores, resume/vitae, statement of purpose (goal statement), and recommendation letters, etc. View the application requirements for your degree program of interest. Send supplemental application materials to:
Georgia State University
College of Education & Human Development
Academic Assistance & Graduate Admissions
P.O. Box 3977
Atlanta, GA 30302-3977
The street address is:
30 Pryor St., Suite 300
Atlanta, GA 30303
3. Deadlines: Note the deadlines for your program. Remember, your best option is to submit your application early — test scores, transcripts, letters of recommendation can be sent after you submit your application. Meet your personal admissions specialist — submit today!
4. Transcripts: We encourage you to submit your transcripts electronically — we regularly receive transcripts from other colleges using e-SCRIP-SAFE and Parchment. We also accept transcripts emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, when sent directly from the college or university attended. Delivery time is drastically reduced. If sending paper transcripts, one official transcript is required from each institution you have attended. Applicants who previously attended Georgia State must submit one transcript from each institution attended before Georgia State and one transcript from each institution attended after Georgia State. You do not need to send your GSU transcripts to us, as we are able to access those records digitally.
5. Test scores (GRE, TOEFL, GACE, and Georgia Educator Ethics): Submit official GRE scores (or MAT scores, when optional — see materials required for your program). Select institution code 5251 to send official GRE/MAT/TOEFL scores to Georgia State. Do not select a department code. GRE scores may not be more than five years old at the time of application. Also, if you are applying to an initial certification program, you must complete the Georgia Educator Ethics assessment and submit applicable GACE program admission assessment scores (select institution code 5090 for official GACE score reporting to Georgia State). Go here for information on how to register for these tests. You may exempt the GACE program admission assessment if you meet an exemption requirement (Attention: GSU will not exempt for holders of Master’s degrees — learn more about GACE). All materials must be in the Office of Academic Assistance and Graduate Admissions by the stated application deadline date.
6. International applicants: Applicants whose native language is not English should also submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the IELTS. Select institution code 5251 to send official TOEFL scores to Georgia State. A minimum internet based TOEFL score of 79 or a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 is required for admission to the College of Education & Human Development. The TOEFL or IELTS is not required of international applicants who have received an accredited bachelor’s degree or a higher degree from a U.S. institution. In addition, if your degree was awarded by a non-U.S. institution, you will need to submit a university course-by-course evaluation, including grade point average, from a translation service — either Joseph SILNY or ECEE.
7. Citizenship Verification documents: Upload citizenship verification document to your online application.
8. Make a Copy for Your Records: We recommend that you print a copy of your complete application, as well as copies of all supplemental documents, for your own records.